Thursday, June 24, 2010

Omak to Republic

Miles 69.5
Ride time 5:27
Elevation gain 4330'
Today we headed out for another day of climbing. We had warm weather to start, even at 6:30 in the morning. We had a fairly flat warm up of about 13 miles, then we started the first of our many miles of up. This morning when I went to breakfast at the hotel in Omak they had individually wrapped powdered donuts....I carried one over 50 miles to the top of Wauconda Pass (elevation 4310'). I shared my prize with Jennifer and Amy. What a treat!
We rolled downhill after the pass and it was fun except the road surface was such that I really had to pay attention to where the good parts of the road were. We got to our hotel in Republic, a small town with a short Main St. After showering off of the road grime the three of us set out in search of some real food. We found a Mexican place and had a bite to eat..should hold us over until dinner!
The hardest thing is trying to gauge if I am eating too much, I am trying not to eat too much junk. Except the donut! At least I rode a ways before I ate it.
The coolest thing about today was seeing so many horses. One barn must have had about 15 of them all hanging out in the shade. The horses we saw today all looked very healthy and well fed. I have seen so many Paints out here. The prettiest one of the day though was this big palomino-absolutely beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment