Monday, June 21, 2010

Marblemount to Winthrop, Wa.

Miles 91.2
Ride time 7:51
Elevation gain 6908'

Today was one of the harder rides I have done. We started out with rainy weather and fairly cool. Today I wore the whole ensemble- rain pants, boots, arm warmers, wool shirt, long pants,helmet cover and double gloves. We had several long climbs, not super steep, about 6-8 %, but long. Some were 4 miles, others were 2-3. Although it was cold and wet out, it was so beautiful to see the rushing streams and numerous waterfalls everywhere. It was green and lush with lots of flowers and plenty of moss. It is amazing how mush water there is, no I take that back...!
We got to first pass..aptly named Rainy Pass. It was pretty cold up there. My legs were screaming, and for a bit I thought they were going to cramp up. I managed to keep them at bay by drinking more water and slowing down to try to to recover. The climbing seemed to go on forever. After Rainy pass we had one more climb to 5000' which was Washington Pass. The clouds parted for a brief moment to reveal some amazing views with stunning rock formations. Some of them reminded me of Yosemite. We creasted the pass and began one of the most awesome downhills I have ever ridden. It lasted for over 14 miles, good shoulder, nice road, little car traffic and wide sweeping turns that took us away from the snow banks ( yes it was that cold!) to a big canyon with trees and views that were truly spectacular. It was a wonderful treat after all of that work to get to the top. We were now on the eastern side of Washington, no snow and much less moisture.
We had a tailwind as well, so it really was a blast.
We got into town, which looks very cute and headed to our hotel. Could't get out of those wet cycling clothes fast enough.
Judy sent a picture of her Dad, Charlie, when he was about 4 years old that we had made into a button for me to carry on my bike. He is sitting on his trike, looking right at the camera with his one room schoolhouse in the background. He was so excited to see me come into Fargo, now he will ride the rest of the whole route with me, right along with my Mom's St. Christopher's metal that I carry in my handlebar bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment