Sunday, July 4, 2010

Whitefish to Lake McDonald, MT

Miles 41.2
Ride time 3:05
Elevation gain 1255'

Today we left Whitfish in the pouring rain wearing full rain gear. We rode through town, then out on a country road. At about 6 miles we turned onto SR 40, which was much busier, but had a fairly decent shoulder to ride on. We got to the town of Columbia Falls and by now it was really coming down. The side of the road was full of water rushing down, so we rode on the sidewalk-at least we were away from the cars. We turned up CR 486N and had a nice road with little traffic. It was still raining and I was really hoping I wouldn't have a flat. It was impossible to see where any glass or other junk on the road.
Today I rode with Amy and Denise. We stopped to help Sherry with a flat, then headed on. Then we had to go on a road that was unpaved for almost 3 miles. The cue sheet indicated it was a gravel road, but by now it was a mud road. I am glad I mountain bike as this was a slippery road with hills and not a lot of great choices for good riding surfaces. Needless to say, with skinny tires, no fenders and the muddy road, my bike was solid brown with mud. I looked about the same, with mud all over. We finally made it off that road and on to some pavement. By this time I could barely shift to my big chain ring, it had so much muck in it.
We made our way onward and then finally turned left into Glacier Park. A very welcome sight. Even better was a gas station with a hose. We rinsed off our bikes and ourselves as best as we could and rode on into Lake McDonald. We had to get into the park before 11 am, which we did in plenty of time. We got out our bag of dry clothes and changed out of all of the wet stuff. We were able to hang out in the lodge by a giant fire that was burning in this giant stone fireplace. I am looking forward to sleeping in and having a day off tomorrow-major bike cleaning is the first priority!

No comments:

Post a Comment