Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mayville to Fargo, ND

Miles 59.7
Ride time 3:31
Elevation gain 213'
Total miles for trip 1769.4
Total elevation gain for trip 55,303'

Today I tried every trick in the book to see if I could convince Patty and Denise that Jennifer should ride not Sag...no go on that one. I rode out with Amy and Sherry towards Fargo. We were cruising along and we got to the first Sag stop at 20 miles pretty quickly. Amy decided she didn't want to ride that fast and I wanted to ride in with her so we picked a slower pace. We were lucky with a great route in. We had very little traffic and very nice roads. It was a really nice last days ride.
I told Judy that I would call at about 25 miles out so she could get there with her Mom and Carol. They were to meet me at the hotel.
We had our last Sag at 40, I ate a very disgusting variety of junk food..this diet will come to an abrupt end when I get off the bike! But I enjoyed cookies, chips, real coke and sweetened Graham crackers all without guilt.
After that Sag, I started to get excited about getting in. I just started cruising again about 20mph...I think I realized I wanted to be done and I wanted to see Judy. So I hauled along with a mission. I stopped to to call her to tell I was about 3 miles out, but she did not pick up. So I just kept on. I came off of CR 81 near the airport. I crossed over by some RR tracks and off to left I saw a car and some people. I wondered what they were doing, maybe some workers. I got closer and I realized it was Carol's car and here was Judy, her Mom, Rylinn and Carol all waiting for me to come in. It was so wonderful! What a surprise. After big hugs, I took off to finish and meet them at the end. As I got ready to,leave, Amy pulled up which was awesome. We rode in together into downtown Fargo. As we got the hotel, my cheering committee had made a big sign welcoming me and congratulating me for finishing the ride. It was so very sweet.
I am glad to have completed this ride safetly and without even one flat-pretty amazing after all of the junk we rode through.
I came back for the final banquet, with an early meeting of a few of us in the hotel bar. It was a fun time, then we went to the banquet. It was nice, kind of sad to say goodbye, but I am glad to have met some new friends and to have spent time with friends that I had met previously.
My thoughts and prayers to Barbara's family. Stay safe everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your finish! I have been with you in spirit for the whole trip. Have a safe trip home and say hi to Judy for me. Hopefully our paths will cross again in the future.

    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete